I only have 3 weeks until I go back to work. Feeling somewhat depressed about this a good mate of mine asked me to list the positives of jumping back into the rat race….here goes…
1) I get to go to the loo ON MY OWN. No jiggling Little Love on my knee to save me from her separation anxiety screams.
2) I’ll have a lunch hour! One whole hour to eat my lunch instead of gulping food down in under 5 minutes so I can get stuck back into the epic task of ploughing through the mound of washing.
3) Hooray! I can talk to grown-ups all day. And it won’t be centred around the intricacies of baby bowel movements.
4) I’ll be able to flex my creative muscles ( I haven’t put pencil to paper in over 8 months so I hope I remember how to draw ).
5) I can get all my nice clothes and accessories out and wear them WITHOUT being puked on.
Sigh…. all these points are valid and while I’m looking forward to seeing all the lovely peeps I work with ( and bake for them! ) I will still miss my Little Love like crazy…. perhaps I can just pop her in a desk drawer and hope my manager doesn’t notice.
Anyhoo….I made brownies! I had a bash at making some gluten-free chipotle brownies which were truly awful ( as usual, Mr Love didn’t pull any punches in telling me so ). Happily, these zippy lime and sea salt brownies were dreamy.
Lime & Sea Salt Brownies ( Inspired by a recipe from Martha Stewart Living )
110g unsalted butter
170g dark chocolate ( 70% cocoa solids )
150g golden caster sugar
150g light brown sugar
3 large eggs
25g cocoa powder
105g plain flour
zest and juice of 1 lime
large pinch of sea salt
Preheat oven to 180C.
Grease an 8″ square pan with butter, line with baking parchment leaving an over hang on two opposite sides ( these will be your handles to lift out the brownie ).
Melt the chocolate and butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Beat in the sugars and then the eggs, lime zest and juice. Sift the cocoa powder and flour and lightly fold into the brownie batter.
Pour into your prepared tin and sprinkle with sea salt. Place in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 25/30mins. An inserted skewer or cake tester will come out with moist crumbs.
Leave to cool before removing from the tin and cutting into 16 squares.
Love Lemony x